The Ministry of HRD, Government of India had issued an Executive Order in September 2011 for National Vocational Education Qualification Framework (NVEQF). Subsequently, Ministry of Finance, in pursuance of the decision of Cabinet Committee on Skill Development in its meeting held on 19th December, 2013, has issued a notification for National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) which supersedes NVEQF. Under the National Skills Development Corporation, many Sector Skill Councils representing respective industries have/are being established. One of the mandates of Sector Skill Councils is to develop National Occupational Standards (NOSs) for various job roles in their respective industries The University Grants Commission (UGC) has launched a scheme on skills development based higher education as part of college/university education, leading to Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc) Degree with multiple exits such as Diploma/Advanced Diploma under the NSQF.
- To provide judicious mix of skills relating to a profession and appropriate content of General Education.
- To ensure that the students have adequate knowledge and skills, so that they are work ready at each exit point of the programme.
- To provide flexibility to the students by means of pre-defined entry and multiple exit points.
- To integrate NSQF within the undergraduate level of higher education in order to enhance employability of the graduates and meet industry requirements.
- To provide vertical mobility to students coming out of 10+2 with vocational subjects.
TARGET / ELIGIBILITY:
1. The existing universities and colleges recognized by the UGC under section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive General Development Assistance will be supported by UGC for implementing the Scheme of B.Voc degree programme.
2. Self financing institutions recognized under 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act 1956, and not eligible to receive General Development Assistance from the UGC may also be considered for approval under the scheme.
3. The Government / Society / Trust or a Company may also set up an independent institution, to implement the scheme and may offer B.Voc course as per the extant guidelines.